If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Can you claim ESA as well as PIP?

33Snapper33Snapper Posts: 5Member Listener
Can you claim ESA aswell as PIPS ? I claim lower rate of DLA but am now having to use wheelchair when outside and was hesitating contacting authority to update  but need to claim blue badge now 

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Pioneering
    edited March 2017
    Hi @33Snapper

Yes, you can claim ESA and PIP (and many people do) - ESA is paid to people who can't work because of their condition or impairment.  PIP is paid to people who have difficulty doing things in their daily lives because of their condition or impairment.  So people who both can't work, and also have difficulty doing daily stuff, can claim both benefits - they are for different things. 

Blue badges aren't linked to ESA.  You automatically get one if you receive the high rate (or score 8 points) of mobility component (DLA or PIP) or you can also get one if you meet the 'discretionary criteria' that are set out by your local authority. 

It's worth knowing that the criteria for DLA and PIP are similar, but subtly different, and (unless you were born before 1948) you will at some point be transferred to PIP and reassessed under the PIP rules, so read up on those to give yourself an idea of what's in store.  

CAB have a document on the PIP Descriptors, which is the points scoring system they use: 

Claim ESA by calling the DWP ESA Claims line

Blue Badge application on the gov website (or contact your local authority directly)

Hope this helps.  

-B
  • 33Snapper33Snapper Posts: 5Member Listener
    Yes very helpful thanks. I have just made contact to inform my symptoms are now greater so will now be new PIPS application. I get ESA too.Hope fully I will get mobility at higher rate then will get blue badge so husband can park easier to get wheelchair out of car.
  • wildlifewildlife Posts: 1,316Member Pioneering
    You don't need the higher rate of PIP for mobility I am on the standard rate and have just got my blue badge. You have to have I think it's 8 or 10 points on the moving around activity that's number 2 activity in Mobility when you look on your PIP claim form. That gives you automatic Blue Badge qualification. Please take note Rosie from Scope...  
  • MatildaMatilda Posts: 2,613Member Disability Gamechanger
    Yes, you automatically qualify for Blue Badge with PIP standard rate mobility 8 or 10 points.  However, with DLA you only automatically qualify for Blue Badge if you get higher rate mobility - but local authorities will consider awarding Blue Badge for lower rate DLA - or even for no DLA or PIP.
  • wildlifewildlife Posts: 1,316Member Pioneering
    It's 8 points. I checked the criteria..x
    quite right @wildlife, good spot! 
  • kainaatkainaat Posts: 7Member Listener
    I am at pip and my husband is DLA
    We are getting ESA but i did nt tell DLA that i am at now getting pip if i tell DLA then they will increase money
  • kainaatkainaat Posts: 7Member Listener
    I did nt get u what mean body is required?
  • Debbie_ScopeDebbie_Scope Posts: 947Member Pioneering
    Hi @kainaat,

PIP has replaced DLA so you won't be able to get both. Once your PIP decision has been made your DLA claim will end. I expect that there would be some kind of communication between both benefits so that you're not double paid.

If you need further advice please let me know.

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • edwierdoedwierdo Posts: 3Member Listener

i was on ESA then i was taken off of iT why i dont knoW i was advised to apply for PIP which i did and got, also at the same time my jobseekers went up, are these two linked, what i meanis did my jobseekers go up because i got PIP???
  • wilkowilko Posts: 1,741Member Disability Gamechanger
    @ edwierdo, the job seekers and PIP two different benefits most likely a coincidence, PIP goes up in April. When you get PIP you can apply for more benefits, worth a look into local council benefits, council tax housing benefit warm front utility discount from the main suppliers for electricity. 
  • AllessaAllessa Posts: 2Member Listener
    Can they cut your ESA after failing an assessment due to them not listening to all the information when your on PIP ?
    my first assessment for ESA I was in there for nearly an hour,this one i was only there for maybe 30 mins at most,it was like she was trying to rush it.
  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Posts: 5,246Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Allessa and welcome

An ESA assessment should have nothing to do with whether you claim PIP or not

When was your decision and have you challenged it ?
    Have you asked for a copy of the assessment report

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • ritzy123ritzy123 Posts: 2Member Listener
    Hi, I have just been awarded PIP but got it backdates from December when I first applied for it but, my Esa should have gone in same time as my pip award but has not, does esa stop when you get pip....I am on esa in support group for past 6 yrs.....
  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Posts: 5,246Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    Hi ritzy
    The two benefits are paid separately. If you are in SG then your ESA will not stop until you have an assessment or fail to attend.
    It may just be a DWP **** Up, only way to tel is to ring DWP

CR
  • ritzy123ritzy123 Posts: 2Member Listener
    Thankyou for replies....
  • DaioDaio Posts: 5Member Listener
    I been so worried on verge of a breakdown I really thought I lost my high rate pip because the cut my ESA to £2501.10 my nurse told me it.was ok not to worry ESA and pip are 2 different things. I thought it was all rolled into one
    edited April 2018
    Daio said:
    I been so worried on verge of a breakdown I really thought I lost my high rate pip because the cut my ESA to £2501.10 my nurse told me it.was ok not to worry ESA and pip are 2 different things. I thought it was all rolled into one
    The two benefits are separate and use different criteria
    ESA looks at your ability to do any kind of wrok
    PIP looks at help you need with daily activities and mobility

Some of the criteria are similar but are fundamentaly different

CR
  • JamesGeorgeJamesGeorge Posts: 29Member Courageous
    edited April 2018
    Hello. I've been reading the content for moments here re PIP and ESA. It's nearly 4am, I'm in a state worrying, can't sleep as got a text message from DWP today saying 'we need to talk to you about your ESA claim. Please call us straightaway on...'  the thought of it has upset me as the text sounds very official and surely anything important would be sent in the post?  I've only just been awarded PIP and have been claiming ESA since early 2017. My two thoughts are that, my condition worsened a month after my ESA assessment and I did not let them know re the ESA - didn't see how it would make a difference as my situation is worse and I can not work and I am already in the SG category. The only other thing I did not inform  the DWP of in relation to the ESA is a recent 5 night stay in hospital, which the PIP officer said made no difference. I realise in hindsight I ought to have advised of any changes but. I. Now think the DWP are going to use my mistakes against me so they can reassess my  ESA in the hope of stopping that and my PIP.  The point is, my situation has worsened, I still cannot work, my condition  has deteriorated and I now think I'm going to be expected  to have to go through the DWP nonsense all over again. I couldn't bear it with my anxiety being worse than ever. I dread hospital and GP appointments and yet we all know a DWP one is  hostile 99.9%  I believe they are doing this just to. Make things hard for me as I won my appeal at tribunal that I did not appear at in person due to my anxiety. Does this resonate? Any thoughts? Should I ring them or wait for a letter? I'll be all wound up regardless until this is sorted. I'm not well, this is the last thing I need. I really do loath the DWP

Hi JamesGeorge and welcome

Please try not to worry.
    The Dwp are really only interested in changes if you get better. As you are already on the top rate of esa and in SG any worstening of your condition will make no difference.
    You should call them as requested to find out what it is about.
    As you have just been awarded PIP are you eligable for SDP ?

https://www.gov.uk/disability-premiums-income-support

ESA has no affect on your entitlement to PIP other than the premiums as above

Please let us know how you get on

CR

HI cockney Rebel, thanks so much and for the welcome. I don't know anything about the SDP. I'll check the link and let you know the outcome. 
    I'm now wondering if it's in relation to switching from contributions Based ESA to income based ESA? I read something earlier that contributions based  ESA can only last for a year. That said, my ESA was awarded in early 2017 but backdated to late 2016 so maybe its not that. I desperately don't want to call them. I'm going to have to 
  • misslollymisslolly Posts: 2Member Listener
    Hi all,
     I am new on here and was wondering if anyone can help me? i get standard rate pip for both eliments, at the moment i am on the sick from work i am in the process of applying for ill health retirement if this is sucessful i will not be workinig anymore due to my health issues and  iam also registered as severly sight impaired, if my ill health pension is not sucessful i will be still leaving my job anyway has it is way too much for me now, but my question is could i claim ESA aswell once i am not working? my partner works full time 40 hours.

Many Thanks
    I'm now wondering if it's in relation to switching from contributions Based ESA to income based ESA? I read something earlier that contributions based  ESA can only last for a year. That said, my ESA was awarded in early 2017 but backdated to late 2016 so maybe its not that. I desperately don't want to call them. I'm going to have to 
    If you had CB ESA you will always have it any IR will be a top up. When you are in SG, ESA will contiue until you have a review that finds you fit for work

CR
    misslolly said:
    Hi all,
     I am new on here and was wondering if anyone can help me? i get standard rate pip for both eliments, at the moment i am on the sick from work i am in the process of applying for ill health retirement if this is sucessful i will not be workinig anymore due to my health issues and  iam also registered as severly sight impaired, if my ill health pension is not sucessful i will be still leaving my job anyway has it is way too much for me now, but my question is could i claim ESA aswell once i am not working? my partner works full time 40 hours.

Many Thanks
    Hi misslolly and welcome

Be careful about leaving your job volunterily

You should get f2f advice from CAB or similar before you make a decision

CR
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,757 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • misslollymisslolly Posts: 2Member Listener
    Many thanks, going to look into the advice given thanks
  • debbiedo49debbiedo49 Posts: 2,802Member Disability Gamechanger
    I am on jsa. 2 years ago I got taken off esa. I now have a new diagnosis. Should I try for ESA again? I am at appeal for pip. I am thinking I should wait for a decision with that first . Also I’m worried and benefits stopping and starting as I get other help. 

I am a fibrowarrior!
    Hi debbiedo

If you have a new or worstened condition then you can re apply,
    Is your new diagnosis likely to make a difference ?

Have a look at the B&W self test

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/med2/indexxx.php

CR

@CockneyRebel Thank you for helping. I've still not rung them, I'm aiming to tomorrow as had a bad week. I'm now wondering if it could be  as my local authority is a full universal credit area. Whilst I'm calling them, I'm going to update them on my condition worsening and the recent hospital stay. I never thought to at the time as was in hospital the first time. It's difficult to juggle everything going on with our health and keep rthe DWP updated as I forget so much now due to my condiion but realise I hav to and will do. 
    Hello. Just an update on why ESA dept contacted me randomly...it was as @CockneyRebel suggested, it was in relation to SDP premiums. 
  • Bubbles052506Bubbles052506 Posts: 2Member Listener
    edited September 2018
    Hi Im a parent carer for my son and get Income support and carers allowance. 
    My own health isn't great and I've put in claim for pip. 
    Had face to face today. 
    What happens if I'm awarded pip? Who do I need to let know? Should I claim esa as well? 
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Posts: 11,944Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    You can't claim ESA and Income Support at the same time. If your PIP is successful and you have a daily living award then you'll have an extra premium paid on top of your Income Support. They will pay you this automatically and there will be no need to tell them. 

If your area is a full Universal credit area then you won't be able to change to ESA it would be UC and then housing benefit and child tax credit would become part of UC and paid as 1 monthly payment. 

If your area isn't a full UC then changing to ESA would be possible but it's the same money unless you're placed into the Support Group and that will depend on how your conditions affect you. You'll also need fit/sick note from your GP to be able to claim ESA. A face 2 face assessment will eventually be needed too. If it was me i'd stay on Income Support but I don't know your circumstances. 

Check what's in your area first by putting your postcode into this link. 
    https://ucpostcode.entitledto.co.uk/ucdate

If it's not a full UC area then i'd advise you to speak to your local CAB or other disability advice centre before going any further.

• Bubbles052506Bubbles052506 Posts: 2Member Listener
    Not in full universal credit area until November 2018.
    I had to stop work due to my sons condition and my own health. 
    I'll remain on income support if that's possible would be easier for me. 
    Thanks 
    Bubbles052506

You have claimed Income Support before your area moves onto full service universal credit (UC).

So you can remain on that benefit until Managed Migration, which is when the government, on a rolling programme across the country, move all existing claimants onto the new benefit (at present, it's only new claimants to income-related benefits that have to claim UC).

Your income support will be in payment because you are a carer in receipt of carers allowance. If you get an award of PIP, then you are likely to be entitled to disabilitypremiums as an added element of your income support. 

Gill_Scope
  • lisa1972lisa1972 Posts: 27Member Connected
    I i claim pip enhance rate of daily living can I claim esa aswell.thankyou
    Hi,

Claiming PIP doesn't automatically entitle you to ESA. To be able claim ESA will depend on your circumstances and with such little information it's impossible to advise any further.
  • London_GirlLondon_Girl Posts: 9Member Listener
    You can claim any benefit if you are entitled to. You can even work/study and claim PIP. PIP isn't means tested. Like poppy123456 said without knowing a little more info people won't know the answer you are looking for. 
  • London_GirlLondon_Girl Posts: 9Member Listener
    Lisa1972 I Think what Gill_Scope said in the message above yours best explains. I think any new claim now and you'll go through universal credit route
    edited November 2018
    Lisa1972 I Think what Gill_Scope said in the message above yours best explains. I think any new claim now and you'll go through universal credit route
    Not exactly correct. Contributions based benefits isn't part of UC and if a claimant is entitled to this and their area is a full UC area and they're not fit for work they should claim New Style contributions based ESA.
Sign in or join us to comment.