ITALIAN BEANS AND PULSES — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ITALIAN BEANS AND PULSES

Options
thespiceman
thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
Hello every one more recipes using Italian white beans.  In Italian cuisine white beans such as Cannellini, Butter and Haricot are widely used in cooking.

I use Cannellini and Butter Beans mainly.  Using tinned for convenience. 

I buy the Italian brands. Yes you pay a little more. No problem in own brand supermarket products.  You can use them.

When draining into a sieve or colander rinse under cold water and ready to use. 

Use them in Ragu or Soup.

This recipe I wish to share.  Italian ingredients, easy and simply cooked.  

WHITE BEAN SOUP

I have made this for two people, because it is good second time around reheated a portion Microwave.

You will need the following one stockpot or a medium saucepan.  Chopping board. Knife. Measuring jug, boiling kettle.  Olive oil.

INGREDIENTS

Onions, Carrots, Celery 2 of each diced, sliced.
2 Zucchini sliced core removed and diced sliced. Make it chunky.
Basil, Parsley dried half teaspoon each.
Fennel seeds half teaspoon
Chilli flakes quarter teaspoon.
Garlic Powder 1 teaspoon.
Stock cube vegetable
Jar of Passata or Carton 500g.
Tin Cannellini Beans and Butter Beans drained, rinsed.
You will not need to use all of them.  I used two tablespoons of each.
Tomato puree and good squirt of that.
I also add to counter balance the acidity Tomato ketchup just a tiny bit or you can add sugar.  One teaspoon. 
Black pepper 1 teaspoon .

Notice no salt enough in the stock cube.  

METHOD

Olive oil stockpot or medium saucepan. Add vegetables and season.  Black pepper. Colour slightly.

Add herbs and spices. Basil, Parsley, Fennel Seeds, Garlic Powder, Chilli Flakes and Tomato Puree, Tomato Ketchup or sugar mix into vegetables.

Add stock cube to measuring jug crumble in use about half pint water to cover might need adjusting. I used a little less.  Add Jar or Carton of Passata.  Used Jar 500g nearly all of it.  Might not need to use all of it. Use measuring jug.

Now add tinned pulses a large tablespoon of each might need to use more if doing this for more than two.

Cover lid bring to a boil then simmer for a hour on my hob. Might need adjusting for those with other cookers.  I did this in a saucepan medium one so I timed it.  Nearly around the hour.  Vegetables soft.

Double check every ten minutes or so. Check for seasoning.

Great thing about this is a soup in the fridge. Keeps well and can if you wish to microwave a portion.  Plus add what is in the freezer. Green Beans, Peas and Broad beans.

Great also this time of year cold days.  With some crusty bread.

Bueno Appetito.

@thespiceman
Community Champion
SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
Recipes

Comments

• debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hiya, just wanted to say I cannot eat baked beans and I'm not sure if its the beans or the sauce that affects me but it prevents me from trying other beans. Any suggestions please? 

Brightness