If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Having difficulties logging in or resetting your password?

Please email [email protected]

RECIPE IDEAS

fishingmumfishingmum Posts: 562Member Pioneering
One thing I have noticed a lot over the years are the amount of people who have a small selection of foods they make and tend to stick with. So I thought how about a place we can all share recipes, maybe something a little different,or something a little more economic on the finances. It could be tasty snacks or meals.

Snack idea
Savoury egg muffins

You will need:
12 hole muffin tray, (I use reusable silicone muffin molds) muffin molds, jug, whisk, chopping board, knife, grater

6 eggs, approx 100ml milk, pinch of salt and pepper, 2-3 shakes of paprika, 1tbsp chopped chives put in a jug and whisk together.

Grate some cheese and put to one side.

Using the knife and chopping board, chop up 1 roasted red pepper and split between the 12 muffin molds. Depending on preference, chop up some courgette, (or if you prefer maybe some smoked sausage) split between the molds. Top with some grated cheese then pour over the egg mixture. Put in the middle of the oven at 180C for approx 35-40 minutes, or until you can put a knife in the middle and it comes away clean. (if using a gas oven it should be gas mark 4)

Cost for the 12 is approx going on ingredients above would be £3, this is also depending on your choice of ingredients, what you have left over that would not cost extra to use.
I normally have a bowl of soup then 2 of these for a lunch or 2 of these on a plate with a salad.

I have used courgette, roasted peppers, spring onions, left over cooked mushrooms, grated broccoli, I have used smoked sausage, garlic sausage, shredded chicken (left over from a roast) so this is a very adaptable snack that is easy on the budget. They can be frozen and will be fine in the fridge for upto 3 days. It also nice to have something a little different when people come round at lunch times.
life is too short to let others make you miserable.

Replies

• thespicemanthespiceman Posts: 5,348Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @fishingmum Great ideas . Started I hope to see more posts like this. Good. Have started a post on Italian Cooking the other month. May start to put recipes on here as well.

People have forgotten how to cook. Also understand using what you can. To help yourself.  No matter the illness or disability.

Always have simple ideas on hand to start. Make it simple. Have confusion to follow a recipe from a book or a post . Write it down. Bullets and adapt to your own tastes.

This is my favourite soup of all time 

MINESTRONE

Simple to do and make. Yes there is some dicing and chopping. Use food processor. Cuts the work down.

Quick Time some vegetables can be pre cooked or parboiled and then add to the soup.

You will need the following

2 Leeks washed diced and fine
    3 Small Carrots sliced and diced
    1 Zucchini Cored sliced diced
    Potatoes Par boil cool add small ones about four cut in half
    2 Celery Sticks diced sliced

Jar of passata
    Tin of Cannellini Beans
    Spaghetti Broken Up  Use Tea towel wrap in and smash and then to Stockpot
    Stock cubes be vegetable crumbled in
    Spices Chill from a jar half teaspoon
    Fennel Seed  1teaspoon
    Italian Seasoning herbs Half tablespoon
    Garlic to taste 2 or 3 cloves smashed or from a jar half a teaspoon
    Bay leaf
    Black pepper.
    Olive oil
    Tomato puree/ Tomato Ketchup 1 Teaspoon each
    Red wine Vinegar a dash

Method

1.  All Vegetables to Stockpot with olive oil.  Sauté till soft.

2. Add spices and tomato puree/ ketchup/ dried herbs, garlic, season

3. Crumbled stock cube in add touch water plus Passata

4.  Cover till begins to boil. Simmer and add Cannellini beans drained and broken spaghetti.

5. Check after half hour on taste season if have to. Check pasta is cooked.

Serve

This is a versatile soup need to alter vegetables add in swede add in different roots.  Greens.  Other soup pasta.  Understand in Italy the normal shapes you can get .Also come in miniature known as pastina. For Soups. Use with the Passata add some sun dried tomatoes or roasted red peppers.

Add chickpeas or lentils for a change.  Buy lentils in packs with herbs in them. Already cooked.

Serve with Sausage Meatballs. Out of skins sausage meat roll into meatballs. Fry off and add to soup.

Done this with Cooked Chicken from the deli. Last minute warm through chicken

Add in pesto at the end. Genoese style. Great thing about this soup is it keeps in the fridge for days.

Also freeze well with out the pulses and spaghetti add when defrosting 

Buono Appetito

• fishingmumfishingmum Posts: 562Member Pioneering
    edited May 2018
    @thespicemanI love minestrone soup :)

This is a nice easy dish as well.
    Mozzarella in carozza

You will need a bowl, whisk, knife, chopping board,frying pan, pot for the sauce,

Make a sauce first, this is a basic tomato and pepper sauce.
    1 onion finely chopped,2 cloves garlic crushed, 1 red pepper roughly chopped, 1tin chopped tomatoes, 2 tbsp tomato puree, 1tbsp lemon juice, pinch of salt and pepper., olive oil.

Put oil in the pot heat then add onions cook till soft then add pepper cook for a few minutes then add all other ingredients bring to the boil then simmer for 15 minutes. ( you can always put it through a blender if you prefer a smooth sauce)

Whilst it is simmering, you can make the carozza.

8 slices of bread, 2-3 eggs, splash of milk, ball of mozzarella, parma ham, butter.
    oil.
    Cut the crusts off of the bread and finely butter the slices, slice up the mozzarella, and make them into cheese and ham sandwiches press firmly together then cut into triangles. In a bowl whisk the eggs and milk. Dip the sandwiches in the mix and make sure it is well coated. heat oil in the frying pan once ready fry the sandwiches until golden brown.

Serve with the tomato sauce.. Great wee snack or lunch. approx cost to make is £3 and this will serve 4 people. You can take out the parma ham and just do it with mozzarella if prefered.

The crusts can be cubed and made into croutons to add to soup. so no waste.

• Sam_ScopeSam_Scope Posts: 7,732Administrator Scope community team
    Some great ideas here!!!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
    Sam_Scope said:
    Some great ideas here!!!
    I thought for people on a budget or maybe difficulty in cooking something easy and cheap it would be an idea to collate a few recipes in one place.
    I fish, so my fish is free so I have went online to morrisons to get an idea of the price of mackerel for the recipe. I also use the whole fish but fillets could be used to make it easier for those who can not debone with ease.

mackerel pate.

you will need a tray, a bowl, a chopping board, knife, blender

approx 250g of cooked mackerel, 1 lemon, half dozen chives roughly chopped, 1 small red onion finely chopped, 200g cream cheese.

put mackerel on a tray in the oven till cooked, take out debone leave to cool.
    chop up chives and red onion and put in bowl add in juice of 1 lemon and cream cheese add in the cooked mackerel and blend together.

Serve with some toast. this can be had at any time of day. Serves 4
    Approx cost £2.50

This can be frozen. I normally do this in bigger batches and freeze 4 portions at a time.
    Oat bars

you will need a bowl, wooden spoon,a baking tray

125g butter, 100g brown sugar, 4tbsp golden syrup, 250g oats, 40g fruit and nut mix (or just raisins or nuts what ever your preference is)

Melt butter, sugar and syrup in a bowl mix in all other ingredients. Once well coated and well mixed transfer to your baking tray smooth out and put in the oven for 30 minutes at electric 180 or gas 4 in the middle of the oven.

If you have someone needing to gain weight add in 60g whey powder, 15ml honey and 50ml milk and mix through, put on tray and fridge for 30 minutes and then bake the same way.

Once ready take out and allow to cool, cut into the sizes you are happy to eat.

Cost of this is approx £1.60 and depending on size you can make 12 pieces.
    Easy fish cakes

you will need a chopping board, knife, pot, masher, 3 shallow dishes, frying pan
    grater, bowl

450g potatoes, 300g fish (depending on tastes it can be mackerel, cod, coley, pollack, salmon) 2 large spring onions finely chopped, tbsp mixed herbs, 6 chives finely chopped, grated cheese approx 50g, plain flour, 1 egg beaten, breadcrumbs. oil

Cook and drain potatoes then mash. sit to oneside. cook the fish debone and allow to cool.
    Finely chop spring onion and chives. Grate cheese.
    Put potato, fish, onions ,cheese and herbs in a bowl and mix well. take out and make small balls then flatten out to a desired size.
    In 3 dishes have one with flour, one with egg and one with breadcrumbs.
    take each patty and coat each one in the flour then egg then breadcrumbs, sit in fridge for half hour.
    Once ready heat up your oil then fry your fish cakes till golden brown on both sides.

Serves 4. these can be frozen. Cost approx £4

if you struggle with cooking potatoes you can always cheat and use packets of mash potato, same with cooking and deboning fish, you might want to use tins that are already cooked and deboned for you. The cost will of course be more expensive, but if you have these items in your cupboard it makes for a quick and easy meal.
  • susan48susan48 Posts: 2,206Member Disability Gamechanger
    @fishingmum
    Thanks for the recipes.
    Can I borrow you for a few days so you could help me stock my freezer  :)
    @susan48 I go and visit friends and do this, I normally take down a lot of fish as well, I did not realise how expensive it is to buy until I looked online for prices, I was shocked. :o

@fishingmum
    I buy frozen fish or tinned tuna. Fresh fish is more expensive that meat!!
    Your lucky you get yours free, and your friends are lucky to have you x
    left over puff pastries.

I always keep a couple of sheets of ready rolled puff pastry in the freezer that I can use for a lazy night. 1 sheet of rolled out pastry cut into 4 squares makes 4 portions of a puff pastry meal. If you are able it is cheaper to buy a block and roll it out yourself. It costs £1 for a ready rolled sheet.

Ingredients can be what ever you have left over,

If you have made macaroni cheese keep a little of the cheese sauce to one side, all you have to do then is fry some onions put a couple of tables spoons of the cheese sauce and some fried onions in and make the pastry like a parcel using a fork pinch the sides together, beat up 1 egg and use it to brush over the pastry and pop in the oven at 180 gas 4 for approx 30-40 minutes or until the pastry has risen and gone a nice golden brown colour.

left over roast chicken, make a basic white sauce using 25g butter 25g plain flour 400ml milk. keep stirring till thickened. Depending what you have it could be a mushroom, or some bacon, dice it up and fry it, once again put 2 tbsp of sauce into you parcel with some chicken and mushroom, fold over pinch the sides with a fork brush over with egg and put in oven. A cheat if you do not have the ingredients to make a sauce, use a cup a soup just don't add the full amount of water and make it thicker as a sauce. Its a cheap and easy way for a cheat.

You can do the same with casseroles, stews just do not put too much of the sauce in it and you can get another nights dinner for everyone with left overs.
    Great tip about cups soup, never even thought about that , fabulous 
    susan48 said:
    Great tip about cups soup, never even thought about that , fabulous 
    Another cheat is tins of condensed soups, do not add water or milk keep it thick and use as a base in puff pastries as well, it is a cheat but it can do, so if you can afford to spend an extra £1 pick up a tin or packet of cup a soups, they can always do in a pinch. My friends phone me up and say what they have in the cupboard when they have little money for food so I can give them ideas of what they can make lol
  • debbiedo49debbiedo49 Posts: 2,902Member Disability Gamechanger
    Great ideas
    💜🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    I am a fibro warrior !💜♏️
    Hello @fishingmum Thanks for the ideas. One of the things I have been doing is making my own sauces. All of us should know how to make some of these.

So I thought add to the list.  All freezable and use up vegetables we all have

RAGU SAUCE

This is sauce I make using Solfritto all cuisines have three vegetables that they use as a base for sauces.

Whether Onion, Carrots, Celery .

In The Deep South in America the Holy Trinity. Onions, Green Peppers and Celery.

Simple and freezer friendly in to portions and zip bags. Time saver.  Goes great with Chicken, Pork and add in Beans, Pulses.

You need a food processor.

Slow cooker or Stockpot.

2 Onions, 2 Carrots, 3 sticks Celery diced into food processor.  Do each one separately.
    Jar Passata
    1 Stock cube
    1 Teaspoon Jar Chilli
    1Tablespoon of Tomato Puree and Ketchup
    Dash Red Wine Vinegar.
    Black Pepper
    Touch water

All to Stockpot or Slow Cooker long and slow.  Till Vegetables soft and if you wish Blender for a smoother sauce.  Cool down first before Blender. Label Freezer Zipbags.

Herbs do not add . Add when defrosting .  Add appriopate herbs for Meat Rosemary Chicken. Sage Pork. Or Italian dried mix.

Same with spices Cinnamon Lentils or Coriander ground for Pork.

Notice no garlic just do not . Can if you want to.

This is fantastic to share recipes .

Good to hear from you

Take care

@thespiceman
    My food processor died some time ago. It really helped with cooking. It so sad lol
    💜🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    @debbiedo49 do you have a stick blender? you can always use that just smaller portions so it could handle it at least you could still blend what you need.
    Hello @debbiedo49 Good morning. Been into ASDA  .Bought their George Home range own food processor.

Really easy to set up and has three slicer attachments. Well as easy assembly small compact good price around £20 plus.

As you all know need one for my disability. Kind of what I need.

If it works for me.  Just a suggestion.

Take care 
    this is a brunch/ light lunch recipe, well depending on much you like to eat :)

Breakfast boat.

You will need a chopping board, knife, baking tray, grater, bowl, whisk, frying pan

4 mini baguettes, 6 eggs, 100ml double cream, 4 sausages cooked and sliced up, 1/2 onion finely chopped and sauteed, half dozen chives roughly chopped salt and pepper, 50g grated cheddar cheese.

Cut your mini baguettes in the middle to make a v like channel and put the bread to oneside. Leaving the ends in tact to hold in the mixture.
    In a bowl mix eggs, cream, salt and pepper, then add in your onions and sausage.
    Pour the mix into the baguettes, now sprinkle over with grated cheese and top with chives put in the oven 180 or gas 4 for approx 20 minutes.

The cost for 4 servings is approx £2.60

The bread that was taken out can be frozen and left for another day. But some ideas for the use of this take small cubes of cheese use  the bread to form a ball round it and shallow fry it, till golden brown.

Roll it out and dice it up for croutons and fry the cubed bread bits till ready.

Use the full amount and flatten into a circle shape and use it like a pizza dough, just add a basic tomato sauce recipe on the top, some grated mozzarella and cheddar mix and pop into the oven till baked.
    Thanks @fishingmum i dont know what a stick blender is but prob couldnt use one if its one you hold. I will look in asda thanks @thespiceman
    💜🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    @debbiedo49 yes a stick blender is one you hold, there is a lot of vibration that comes through it so may not be suitable for a lot of people to use. Hope you find one that works for you
    Meatloaf, this can be cooked and left to cool and sliced for sandwich fillings or had as part of a main meal.

You will need a knife, chopping board, bowl, a 2lb loaf tin, grater.

1kg sausage meat, 1 pack streaky bacon, 1 onion finely chopped, 1 carrot grated, 1 clove garlic crushed, 1 cup oats, 1 cup breadcrumbs, 1/2 pint ham stock, 1tbsp mixed herbs, 1 egg, tomato sauce (bottled or make your own)

Mix all ingredients in a bowl except tomato sauce and bacon.
    Grease the loaf tin, put half the mixture in the loaf tin and cover with tomato sauce then streaky bacon, then put the rest of the mixture on top cover with tomato sauce and the remainder of the streaky bacon. Cover the tin with tin  foil and put in the oven 180 or gas 4 for 45 minutes, take off the foil and cook for further 15 minutes. Take out and serve or leave to cook for later.

You can substitute the sausage meat for minced pork or beef, it does change the flavour and texture. You can always finely chopped left over meat and put it through this mix as well.

Cost approx £6 serves 4 main meals and a 4 lunches depending on how thickly you slice it up, you can get more out of this loaf.
    I never bother growing pumpkins as they take up too much room, and if I buy them the day after Hallowe'en you are buying a huge amount for very little. Last year we got a 5kg pumpkin for 50p. So it makes a lot of soup which can be frozen.

Pumpkin soup

you will need knife, chopping board, soup pot (blender if prefered smooth) frying pan

1kg pumpkin chopped, 2 onions finely chopped, pack of bacon chopped, 400 ml double cream, 1 clove garlic crushed, 1 tbsp nutmeg, 1heaped tsp curry powder, 2 litres of vegetable stock.

chop up onion and bacon and gently fry once cooked sit to one side.
    Boil your chopped pumpkin in the vegetable stock till soft, add in all other ingredients and simmer for 5 minutes If you are going to blend this leave the onion and bacon till after you blend the soup then add.

This is a good time to use up the frozen bits of dough from your breakfast boats as croutons and top the soup off before serving.

Depending on time of year, this would cost approx £5 for 8 200ml servings or less.
    This is an easy gingerbread loaf. I tend to use a small size mug instead of a cup, but a large cup would do fine.

Gingerbread loaf.

You will need a cup, pot,, bowl, 2lb loaf tin

In the pot put 1 cup of sugar, 1 cup of currants, 1 cup of milk, 1tbsp treacle 115g margerine. bring to the boil and cool for 2 minutes.

In the bowl put 2 cups self raising flour, 1/2 tsp bicarb, 1 tsp ginger, 1 tsp mixed spice,

Once the mixture in the pot has cooled down put all the ingredients from the bowl in and mix well. Now add 1 egg and beat through.
    Transfer mix to a greased and lined loaf tin put in the oven 180 or gas 4 for an hour or util a knife can be put in the middle and it comes out clean.

Cost for this is under £2 and you can easily cut 12 slices, this can be frozen but I can honestly say it has never been done in my house. You can add a little butter on to the slice and eat it with a cuppa, or have it with some custard
    Your recipes are amazing. Are they healthy? 
    💜🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    except cakes yes lol @debbiedo49 but as long as you are balancing your meals out and know what you have calorie wise for the rest of the day it is fine. a good variety of different meals and plenty of fruit and veg is all part of :)
    That’s good to know. I love all of your recipes you should write a book 😀
    💜🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    My son and I love stir fry. I buy a bag of frozen chicken breasts. Defrost in fridge night before. Get tinfoil and spray oil and set it out in s tray.  Season and put in oven at 200 for 45 mins. Allow to cool then cut into strips. Spray a large frying pan or wok with oil and heat on medium. Place chicken in pan . Sprinkle with garlic powder or any other preferred seasoning and add  light soya sauce . Stir for 2 minutes.  Use a bag of mushroom stir fry next. Stir for 2 minutes. Add a bag of straight to wok noodles and stir fry for 2 minutes. Add more light soy sauce to taste. I usually cover and heat on low for another 2 minutes. Yum
    💜🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    I love stir fry as well, I normally crush fresh ginger and garlic add a splash of lemon and 2 tbsp of honey to coat the meat pre cooking, it just gives a different flavour. experiment with food thats the fun part :)
    Tuna pasta.

Very easy to make
    You will need a pot, chopping board , knife, collander

Farfalle enough for 4, 2 x tins of tuna, 4 spring onions chopped, 2 cloves of garlic crushed, 200g olives (more if you like), 1/2tsp oregano, 1tsp chopped chives, 50g parmesan, olive oil

Farfalle pasta (enough for 4 people) cooked and drained.
    In the same pot add olive oil and cook spring onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes, add in the pasta and mix through add in the 2 tins of tuna and oregano and mix well then add in parmesan and olives mix through and cook for further 2 minutes and serve.

This goes great with garlic bread and a basic salad.
    Hello @fishingmum Morning thanks for the pasta recipe.

One of the suggestions I often say to people about pasta is have some store cupboard standbys to make pasta sauce or to add to pasta.

Following useful. Passata, Plum Tomatoes.

Jars Red Roasted Peppers and Sundried Tomatoes.

Jars Chillies and Garlic. Already chopped.  Tomato Puree. Red wine Vinegar and Balsamic.

Good olive oil.  Good black pepper and salt.  Tomato Ketchup. Got tomatoes and sugar and spices in it.

Anchovies and Olives. Buy Olives already pitted. Black ones.

Anti Pasti jars mixes of Peppers and Aubergines.  Plus Mushrooms . All in Olive Oil and useful . Drain oil for pasta.

Tins Sweetcorn and Tuna. Try and buy Tuna in Olive oil or Sunflower Oil.  I use Tuna Steak.

Varieties of Pasta Shapes. I use Farfalle, Penne, Fusilli . All wholemeal .  Experiment with other shapes.

Also try and find Orzo. Looks like rice but is a pasta .  No need for boiling water. Straight to sauce.

Also ready made Gnocchi simple to use and any left over from pack . Freeze in zip bags

Fresh herbs are great but sometimes using small mixes of dried can be beneficial. Most supermarkets sell Italian Mix and also Fennel Seeds.

Hope any of this helps or anybody else..

@thespiceman another idea is to have a few jars add olive oil and in one jar add some garlic cloves cut in half, in another add in chillies sliced from top to tail, in another add in several sprigs of basil, this way you can have the flavouring when you add the oil if you do not have basic ingredients to hand, or jars of seasoning. 2 ways of doing this are cold infusion, or by heat, I normally heat the oil slightly add in what ever I am flavouring with for a few minutes then transfer to a jar leave to cool before putting the lid on.

Just as a point of interest, roman soldiers used to use fennel to stave off hunger when on long marches as fennel can supress the appetite.
    todays lunch is sponsored by left overs. I frequently cook a little extra, sometimes people drop in unannounced and it is good to be able to feed them but also it means I can make up smaller meals the next day or try something new.
    This is adaptable as it is left overs, but going on a basic idea you can add or take away ingredients to suit yourself.

left over chicken soup.

you will need a pot, chopping board, knife

left over chicken shredded approx 300g, left over cooked rice roughly a cup full, 2 carrots sliced and diced, 1/2 leek thinly sliced, 1/4 parsnip sliced and diced,  2-3 pints chicken stock, 1 clove garlic, 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp thyme, 1 bay leaf a little oil.

In a pot add in the oil and add your carrots, parsnips and leek cook for about 5 minutes then add in garlic, oregano, thyme and bay leaf cook for further 2 minutes. Add in your stock, bring to the boil then simmer approx 15 minutes. Add in your cooked rice and shredded chicken cook for a further 3 to 4 minutes until it is all hot then serve.

goes great with some crusty bread.

The cost is low as it is mainly left overs, so under £1 for 4 servings
    Hello @fishingmum Thanks for the recipes great. More good stuff.

Most of the year eat Italian One pots whether Soup or Meat dishes. Simple the better.  So thanks very much.

Love Fennel bought some the bulbs in ASDA.  £1 each but shaved them using food processor lasted a week.  In the fridge. Anyway do buy the seeds and use them constantly . Especially in Beans and Pulses helps with digestion.

Also great with fruit and yoghurt.

Just thought not a fan of Parsnips.  Would add Potatoes to the Chicken Soup.  You have .  Potatoes thicken a Soup so ideal.

Thanks a lot hope you are OK.

Take care

@thespiceman
    @thespicemanI don't put potatoes in as I am using rice and already carbohyrate heavy, instead of parsnips, you could add celery, cabbage, cauliflower, whatever you have leftover, hence the name leftover chicken soup lol if you do not potatoes or rice to thicken it you could always make some dough balls, something a little different as a thickener for you.
    Hello @fishingmum Sorry of course not thinking. Need guidance. I know use Potatoes in One pots to thicken sauce.

Done the Italian Classic Peppers and Potatoes with Fennel and used left over Chicken or Sausages.

I will write it all down what could use vegetables.  When I shop buy a loads of vegetables but always the three Celery Carrots and Onions. Plus Potatoes, Swede. Plus Leeks. Rotate around so do another week of Med vegetables.

Peppers, Zucchini, Aubergines.  Add One of those. Probably Zucchini.  Done that before.

Thanks very much for the recipes and help and support.

@thespiceman
    @thespiceman courgette (zucchini) red pepper and lamb makes a lovely soup, if you are more mediterranean based, you can get away with cheap cuts of lamb like flank ( I think it is referred to as breast now) and use butternut squash as a thickener for it, as it is sweeter taste than potatoes it really adds to the soup flavour.

I am trying to think of ways to make it easier for you to cook anything I put up, as I understand it is a lot more difficult with the use of one hand.

Take care
    Hello @fishingmum Thanks again for recipes. Just want to add my hands have fingers not a full set  Have three fingers on left hand and four on the right.. Apologise for mis understanding.

Have also and do like to cook but it will admit a struggle today . Being Weepy Wednesday when everything goes wrong. Often in the kitchen one of those days.

Even moi makes errors and bad judgements. Roll on lunch time. Had boiled eggs but ended up too hard. Over boiled. Did not time it. 

So with all meals have to plan, organise and make sure do good food but simple.

Always find and adapt recipes to my disability. One thing have done. I have no family or friends around so have to sort myself out.

Great to have equipment and to use it practical.  New food processor great have four blades for slicing veg and know that it is well worth having one.

Blender blitzed up half jar pesto chilli one. Add tin toms plus red roasted peppers plus Basil for a tangy sweet but little bit of heat . Pasta sauce.

Last nights dinner. Simple . The classic Italian Lentils and Sausages.  Made the Ragu sauce last week. Got vacuum pack Lentils already cooked. Sausages to cook and pan fry.

So all it is snipped top of zip bag sauce into stock pot with lentils. Some water little of that .  Add in red peppers sauce from lunch.  Did Pepper pesto pasta. Left over. Let that bubble away or simmer after five minutes. Pinch of cinnamon to lentils. Then pan fry sausages to a pan with olive oil and transfer sausages to stockpot.

Cover simmer for about half hour and serve.

Same lentils make meatballs with sausages, or cheap cuts Pork belly or shoulder melt and better use of in a slow cooker

Pre cook meat season with black pepper or Coriander ground or Cinnamon..

Thanks very much

Hope you are having a better day than me.

@thespiceman
    @thespicemannext time you over boil the eggs mix it with mayonnaise and chives, or mix with a little pesto for over toast :)

Sorry I picked it up wrong about your fingers, still it must make it a lot more difficult, glad the food processor works, I hate washing dishes to tend not to use it lol.

You might like to try a layered loaf, using a green veg at the bottom, lentils in the middle and a tomato based top so it looks like a trafic light in layers, just as an addition, mix and match with veg you like.

I hope your day picked and it got better
    Rice dishes are great but they can also be used as a substitute for potatoes. So this basic savoury rice dish can be eaten on its own or with a dish.

Savoury rice

You will need a chopping board, knife,pot

1 red onion finely chopped, 4 mushrooms sliced, 1/2 green pepper roughly chopped, approx 3cm of courgette sliced, 1 clove garlic minced, 1/2 tin chopped tomatoes, pint of veg stock ,1tsp curry powder, 1tbsp wholegrain mustard, a few chopped chives and a little oil to fry veg.

In the pot add the oil and cook the onion till clear, add in the mushrooms pepper and courgette cook for 2 minutes, add in garlic cook for another minute, then add in rice, stock, mustard, chives, chopped tomatoes and curry powder and cook for 15 minutes until rice is cooked and liquid gone. Ready to serve.

This will serve 4 as a meal or 8 side portions. It costs approx £1.30 to make for the basic savoury rice, you can always add in smoked sausage, or chicken to add a little meat in to it, or prawns and mussels to make it more of a seafood dish, just change your stock to suit if using meat ingredients.
    edited May 2018
    @charlene

Creamy spinach and mushroom pasta

You will need, chopping board, knife, pot for pasta, frying pan, collander

300g pasta (I would use linguine) 6 mushrooms sliced, 300g spinach, 1 clove garlic, 50g gorgonzola, 150g cream cheese (low fat if preferred)50ml milk, 1/2 tsp basil salt and pepper to taste. a little oil

Cook pasta in the pot. put oil in the pan and cook mushrooms3 minutes then add in spinach cook for further 2 minutes add in garlic cook for 1 minute then add in cream cheese, crumble in gorgonzola, add in your basil and milk mix till it becomes a creamy sauce add in salt and pepper if required.
    Drain pasta then add in to the sauce, mix well and serve.

This will cost approx £4 depending on brand name v shops own and your preference of pasta.
    Serve it with a nice salad, maybe rocket salad and a lovely white wine :)

Hello @fishingmum Thanks for recipes all noted down and ready.  Either to suit myself. Hope you do not mind adapt anything you put on.

To my level and skills of cooking but also adapt it to suit my disability.

Thing is when you have this equipment to use in the kitchen. You make use of it being sensible and practical .

Examples right now have Chicken coated in Paprika and Smoked Paprika in a Ragu sauce poaching away in the small slow cooker. So that is done.

Then all I do is to get stockpot out. Add Onions from Slicer food processor and add to stockpot and sauce and Chicken plus Lentils 

You wonder why not add Lentils to slow cooker. Because last time ended up sticking at the bottom and making a mess. 

Besides watched  a programme one time and always admire their ways to get flavour into food. Diners, Drive ins and Dives. All the kitchen poach or simmer there meat in sauce and spices to give it flavour. Then final cook off is in a stockpot and options to shred the meat or leave whole.

Of course what I  can do is a portion of shredded meat and sauce microwave.  Plus any pre cooked vegetables.

Done this before many times and it works fine.

Besides washing up not a lot. Just a few dishes.  Have my Motown and Northern Soul on dancing away helps.

Please can I add see your posts on Pasta great more good recipes. This is excellent. I have a lot of time to help people with food solutions. Am grateful for super recipes.

You are much appreciated. This is what the community is all about.

Sharing and caring

Thank you

@thespiceman
    @thespiceman I find quite a lot of kitchen items (food processers) take me longer than cutting and give me more dishes, so I would only use it to puree or liquidfy, I am lucky enough to be able to do. One of the reasons I share recipes and how to's as I find that I am in a position to be able to.

Recipes are a guide, you work with them and make them to your own taste Have fun, hopefully I may give you an idea or two.

Tip for the lentils, soak them in water, do not cook them, then add them into a recipe so no burning, for example the layered loaf I mentioned, it might make it easier for you.
    Seafood Pasta

You will need chopping board, knife (food processor for those who find chopping difficult) pot, collander

Pasta 300g, cooked mussels, prawns and  cockles, (or a seafood mix packet if it is frozen add in to sauce earlier than precooked and ready to go in) I also add in razor fish but you can add in whatever seafood you like approx 300g, 2 cloves of garlic crushed, 4 spring onions finely chopped, 1 chilli finely chopped, 1 tin chopped tomatoes, 1tsp basil, 50ml red wine,tomato puree and some oil to fry onions.

In a pan gently cook spring onion 2 minutes, add garlic, chilli and basil 1 minute,  add in red wine cook for 2 minutes then add in chopped tomatoes and half the tin of water and approx tblsp tomato puree, bring to the boil then let simmer for 12-15 minutes till thickens, whilst that is simmering get the pasta on. Once pasta is ready drain and sit to one side, add in precooked seafood cook for 2 minutes then add in pasta cook for further 1 minute and serve. If using frozen read the instructions on how long it takes to cook and add it into the sauce for time required.

This goes amazing with spinach and mushroom sides, or garlic bread (both) and a smooth red wine.

It would cost approx £5 if you are buying a bag of frozen seafood, fresh about £6 this serves 4.
    pasta bake

500g fusilli, 2 tins chopped tomatoes blended, 150ml single cream, 250g mozzarella sliced, 50g paremsan, 2 cloves garlic minced, handful of fresh basil leaves roughly chopped, 1 onion finely chopped, 1/2 courgette thinly sliced a little oil

You will need chopping board, knife, pot, frying pan, oven tray, collander

Put the pasta on to cook, in the frying pan cook the onion till soft add in garlic and courgettes cook for another 2-3 minutes add in the blended tomatoes (passata cartons if it makes it easier) add in cream and parmesan and cook for 3-4 minutes. Drain pasta and mix with the sauce.

In the oven tray put half the pasta mix and put half the mozzarella and basil leaves on top, then put the rest of the mix on and top off with mozzarella and fresh basil put in the oven for 18-20 minutes at 180 or gas 4 till the cheese has browned on top.

This goes really well with garlic and olive salad

Cost approx £4.50 and easily serves 4
    stuffed chicken thigh fillets.

In lidls they sell packs of chicken thighs prefilleted for under £2.00 since I feed 6 people daily, this is a great choice for me, but they can be frozen once cooked.

You will need chopping board, knife, oven tray, mixing bowl, frying pan, tin foil

Chicken thigh fillets, 200g butter, 200g oats, 250g mushrooms finely chopped, 1  red onion finely chopped, 1 white onion finely chopped, 2 cups of breadcrumbs, 1tbsp thyme, 6 chives finely chopped, 300g sausage meat, 1 egg,  a little oil to brush thighs with.

In a pan melt 80g of the butter and add the oats cook for 3-4 minutes and then transfer to mixing bowl. Put in the rest of the oil add onions and mushrooms cook till onions are soft add in the thyme cook for further 2 minutes transfer to mixing bowl add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl and mix well.

Spoon in enough stuffing into each thighs and brush over with a little oil then wrap tightly in tin foil and place on oven tray repeat with all the thighs.

Put in oven 180 or gas 4 for about 1 hour 20 minutes (depending on the weight 20 minutes per pound plus 20 minutes)

Depending on how many thighs in the packet, normally serves 4-6 cost is approx £6.00

Normally served with roast potatoes or mash and a mix of vegetables, last time I done this I served it with asparagus and buttered carrots.
  • DingbatDingbat Posts: 19Member Connected
    Rice dishes are great but they can also be used as a substitute for potatoes. So this basic savoury rice dish can be eaten on its own or with a dish.

Savoury rice

You will need a chopping board, knife,pot

1 red onion finely chopped, 4 mushrooms sliced, 1/2 green pepper roughly chopped, approx 3cm of courgette sliced, 1 clove garlic minced, 1/2 tin chopped tomatoes, pint of veg stock ,1tsp curry powder, 1tbsp wholegrain mustard, a few chopped chives and a little oil to fry veg.

In the pot add the oil and cook the onion till clear, add in the mushrooms pepper and courgette cook for 2 minutes, add in garlic cook for another minute, then add in rice, stock, mustard, chives, chopped tomatoes and curry powder and cook for 15 minutes until rice is cooked and liquid gone. Ready to serve.

This will serve 4 as a meal or 8 side portions. It costs approx £1.30 to make for the basic savoury rice, you can always add in smoked sausage, or chicken to add a little meat in to it, or prawns and mussels to make it more of a seafood dish, just change your stock to suit if using meat ingredients.

Love the sound of this recipe!  Tried your recipe for fishcakes and they were really lovely.  Just wondering how much rice you add as I don't see a quantity on the list of ingredients?  Would be lovely to try - Many thanks for your brilliant recipes.  I cant use a conventional cooker as I have RA in my hands and find heavy things hard to lift off and also have problems with chopping, but this sounds nice and easy to try.  Lyn x
    Yum
    💜🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    @Dingbat oops lol, approx 350g of uncooked rice. for the savoury rice dish.
    Hello @fishingmum Good morning thank you very much seafood recipes. I actually used to buy the seafood mix from ASDA. Contains Squid and Prawn , mussels. Right really great mix and standby.

Make up the Pasta sauce and add in Anti Pasti Jars either Artichokes or Sundried Tomatoes or Roasted Peppers. With Penne as the shape of choice.

Simple so you given the basic recipe start that back up again. Stopped sometimes do. Recipes. Like Fish so could add other Fish like Cod or Haddock to pad that out.

Much appreciated.
    Summer cod pasta

You will need, chopping board, knife, shallow dish, frying pan, pasta pot, collander

150g cod (can use pollack or haddock as a substitute)
    300g pasta (normally I would use spaghetti or linguine) 75g fresh basil finely chop 25g and leave the rest of the leaves whole, 1tbsp chopped chives, 1tbsp chopped parsley, 1 red chilli finely chopped, 50g olives (pitted) Juice of 1 lemon, zest of 1 lemon and 1 orange, some veg oil to cook with and some olive oil for marinade and to coat pasta at end if needed.

In a bowl mix the juice from the lemon and the zest from orange and lemon, 50ml approx olive oil, chopped basil, chives and parsley, pour over the fish and turn to make sure it is well coated and leave to sit till ready to cook.
    Cook pasta. Heat the oil and quickly fry the whole basil leaves for a few seconds take out and sit on kitchen paper to drain excess oil.
    Now add in fish pieces and cook both sides for a few minutes each till cooked through, sit the fish to oneside. in the same pan add in the marinade and olives heat on high for 1-2 minutes, then pour over the drained pasta with a little extra olive oil if needed and mix through. dish up the pasta, then add the pieces of fish and basil to top the spaghetti.

The cost of this is approx £5 and serves 4.
    This goes great with steamed veg, or a fennel and crouton salad.
    edited May 2018
    Ling lemon butter en croute

Easy dish that requires little effort. you can substitue the fish for another white fish its whatever you have.

You will need oven tray, chopping board, knife,small pot or pan, rolling pin (unless you buy ready rolled pastry) whisk, lemon squeezer, pastry brush

4 fillets of ling, puff pastry, 40g butter, 1/2 lemon juiced and zested, sea salt and pepper. 1 egg beaten, a little flour to roll out pastry.

In the pot put in your butter and heat on medium for about 3 minutes take off heat, add in the juice from the half lemon and mix then add in zest and a tiny amount of salt and pepper. sit to one side.

Roll out your pastry, (or open up the sheet of ready rolled) cut into 4 pieces. brush both sides of your ling with the sauce and place on one side of the pastry, repeat with the other pieces of fish, using a little beaten egg go around the edges and fold the pastry over, use a fork or side of knife to pinch edges together, using the beaten egg brush over the pastry, using the knife cut a couple of splits in the top of the pastry (but not the fish) and put on tray for the oven bake as per pastry cooking instructions. Should take about 40 minutes till it is ready.

Serve with mixed roasted veggies.

Cost is approx £5 (depending on what white fish you decide to use and what prices you can get it for at the time, seasonal fish is cheaper to buy) and serves 4.

For those who do not have an oven you can still make the sauce and marinade the fillets for half hour, then pan fry and serve with potato croquettes instead.
    Beef and tomato pot noodle 
    Shake pot
    peel off lid
    remove sauce sachet 
    boil kettle 
    pour water in pot to level
    leave for a few minutes
    stir with fork
    add sauce sachet to taste 
    enjoy!
    💜🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    HOME MADE POT NOODLES

You need Cooked Chicken shredded
    Straight to Wok Noodles
    Bag of Stir fry veg
    Frozen or fresh from supermarket
    Sauce
    Tin tomatoes chopped
    Five Spice Powder 1 teaspoon
    Soy Sauce dash
    Sesame Oil dash

All in one pan 

1. Sesame oil in a pan touch with bag of stir fry veg.  Medium heat

2. Add in shredded chicken, tin tomatoes , Five Spice Powder mix 

3. Dash Soy at the end.

4.  Add in dried Coriander or fresh a handful.

5. Alternative chicken cooked prawns at the end add.
    Beef and tomato pot noodle 
    Shake pot
    peel off lid
    remove sauce sachet 
    boil kettle 
    pour water in pot to level
    leave for a few minutes
    stir with fork
    add sauce sachet to taste 
    enjoy!

never tried beef and tomato pot noodle but I remember very well trying the chicken and mushroom years ago when I was a student, I must have gotten one of the horrid ones (apparently they can be either good or bad???). Never tried any other flavour, or since. I have given some folks a really good laugh over the years with my lack of being able to use ready meals.

One time my friend came to stay and the co-op had a really good deal on ready meals, my husband trying to be helpful thinking I should have a night off since friend was staying brought these home. They were in a really thin plastic, anyway I thought it had to be transfered over to a microwavable tub, as these were just holders. Turns out you stabbed the top with a fork and nuked them. They were horrid and there was very little of them you would have had to eaten 2 for dinner. last time it ever happened lol
    @fishingmum do you eat tripe? My dad considered it a delicacy and enjoyed making a huge pot up and then eating the lot! Starting off as a family favourite years ago. The butcher said it was very unusual for the whole family to like tripe. It’s quite expensive to buy. 
    💜🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    never been a fan of tripe @debbiedo49 it is an aquired taste, I eat most things but that is not one, in saying that I do eat haggis lol so happy to cook things in the stomach lining not the lining itself hahaha
    Sassenach lol
    💜🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    Hello Ladies   @fishingmum    @debbiedo49 You were talking about Tripe. I eat Offal. Love it and find it additional to the menu. I plan.

Need something different. Like Lambs Heart, Kidneys, Ox Liver.

Easy to prepare and costs are cheap.  Most Supermarkets sell it.

Ox liver season it with Black Pepper and touch of Cayenne.  Coat in oil on to the grill on a high heat.

Serve it with Lentils and Ragu Sauce.

Heart and Kidneys season as above.  Coat it in flour.  Oil sear and to slow cooker on low heat. With Lentils and I add in Sprig Rosemary.

Hope that helps.

@thespiceman
    Yuk lol
    💜🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    @debbiedo49 don't know anyone that eats tripe except my english neighbours lol.
    @thespiceman I do liver in chopped tomatoes some paprika, fresh basil and spring onion with mushrooms, heart and kidneys go into pies after been done in the slow cooker.
    I am currently defrosting shin and cheek for use in a beef soup, that I do with rice and carrots and onions some tomato puree and let it thicken up its really lovely
    Spring onion and mushroom pasta

you will need chopping board, knife, pot for pasta, frying pan

150g spaghetti, 6 spring onions sliced, 200g mushrooms sliced, 2 tbsp olives pitted and halved, some fresh basil, 4 chives roughly chopped, 1 clove of garlic minced, 1/4 red pepper finely chopped, 200g cream cheese, 30g parmesan optional 50g roughly chopped spinach leaves, some milk to make the sauce go further if you feel it is too thick

Boil pasta till ready. In frying pan add in mushrooms cook for 2 minutes add in spring onion, pepper, garlic (if adding spinach add in now) cook for further 2 minutes add in basil and chives 1 minute then add in cream cheese and parmesan and mix till sauce is formed ( add in milk now if you want to thin it out a little) once ready mix with pasta and serve.

Serves 4.

Crusty bread and salad goes well with this.

Cost approx £2.50
    Hello @fishingmum Good morning thanks for this another excellent recipe.

Just finished yesterday. My Pasta sauces for freezer. Easy to do and ready to use.

I always add Carrots to a Pasta Sauce sweetens the sauce. Also always Chilli and some Paprika. Not like the illuminated bright red sauces of the shops. All in my opinion too expensive.

Cheaper to make.

Hope to speak soon.

Take care

@thespiceman
    @thespicemanI add grated carrot to tomato based sauces, its nots just as a sweetener, it adds extra vitamins, and extra veg especially for fussy kids lol
    It was my sons birthday the other day and I made a variety of different sweets, this is a recipe I saw online and slightly changed it to suit myself.

Kinder beuno fudge (this is my adapted version rather than the one I found online)

You will need a chopping board, knife, mixing bowl, baking sheets and tray

6 double bueno bars 4 packs to be chopped up to mix in and 2 bars chopped up to go on top, 400g white chocolate, 60g butter, 1 tin condensed milk, 150g icing sugar, 100g milk chocolate bars chopped up or 100g chocolate drops

Melt butter and white chocolate together, once all melted add in icing sugar and condensed milk whisk well mix in the first lot of chopped bueno bars and chocolate drops/ or chopped chocolate. In your tray put a baking sheet and then pour mixture over, then with the remainder of the bueno bars place over the top.
    Chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.

Cut up in to small pieces and it is ready to serve.

Cost is approx £6 and can easily be cut into 18 pieces.

Creamy chicken pasta

Another recipe that is adaptable to suit needs and abilities in the kitchen.

You will need chopping board, knife pot for pasta, frying pan, collander

2 chicken breasts sliced up, 4 spring onions finely sliced, 1/2 roasted red pepper finely chopped, 25g butter, 25g flour, 1/2 pint chicken stock, 1/2 lemon juiced, 1/4 pint single cream, 1/2 tsp rosemary, 1 clove garlic crushed, 1/2 dozen chives roughly chopped. Enough pasta for 4.

Cook enough pasta for 4. Cook chicken, garlic, spring onion, roasted pepper add in rosemary then set aside, melt butter add in flour over a medium heat removed from heat and gradually add in stock mixing thoroughly, add to heat and bring to bubble then reduce heat still stirring till thickened, add in cream and lemon juice and chopped chives stirring continously add in chicken and veg mix reduce heat. Plate up pasta then pour sauce over the top.

You can use the rind of the lemon and some of the chives as a garnish.

This goes great with roasted asparagus and stuffed mushroom sides

Cost for this is approx £5 serves 4 people.
    Hello every body had a thought the other day as I buying loads of tins and packets and jars of pulses.

Jars are new to me and bought Chickpeas and Cannellini Beans bit more for your buck but good quality.

Anyway just made my own baked beans.

Seen them in the shops thought can I save here. Looked at the tin and the usual gunk in them. While I thought why I could make that so here is the recipe.

One Tin of Haricot Beans Drained

Add in flavourings and Spices 
    Half teaspoon of Onion and Garlic Powder
    Half Teaspoon Paprika
    Half Teaspoon Fennel Seeds
    Black Pepper to taste
    1 Teaspoon Tomato puree/ Tomato Ketchup
    In a saucepan with the beans add in stock cube crumbled in touch water.  Bring to boil simmer.

Does this also for added Curry powder 1 teaspoon.

Far better than shop bought and I know what is in it.

Since the weather has been so lovely here is a little ice lolly recipe.
    I bought from the poundshop about 15 years ago ice lolly molds, each one is 50ml so for all 12 it is a total of 600ml.

Strawberry ice loly.

you will need a blender, ice lolly molds and sticks/holders for the molds. (if you do not have any you can always use other molds you have or yoghurt pots, as long as you have a holder for it)

250g strawberries, 250ml plain yoghurt, 2 tbsp clear honey

Put in blender whizz up and pour into molds, freeze till ready, enjoy :)

Orange ice lollies

you will need a blender and ice lolly molds.

3-4 oranges, fresh orange juice to top up molds.

Blend oranges (whole fruit minus skin) pour into molds then add in as much fresh orange as needed to fill the molds.

ta da, easy peasy :)
    Have a friend coming around this morning so I will make a little something for us before she heads off on a journey.

brie, chard and roast pepper tartlet.

You will need baking tray, chopping board, knife, baking sheet, pastry cutter

Puff pastry (ready rolled sheet to make it simpler) Brie, as much as you are happy with topping the tartlets, 1 large roasted red pepper sliced, approx 100-150g chard (sorry I picked it from the garden and did not weigh it), chives a little butter to fry up the chard

using your pastry cutter, cut 6 circles and place on the baking sheet on your tray and pop into fridge.
    Gently cook the chard in the butter and sit to one side to cool. Slice up your red pepper. Take out your pre cut pastry and put a little chard on each followed by roasted red pepper and topped with brie, sprinkle with chives and pop in oven.
    180 or gas 4 for approx 20 minutes till golden brown and serve.

As I am doing this as a brunch style I will not be serving it with anything except a cuppa, if you were having it as a lunch you can always add in a side salad, or have a light soup before hand. If I had cherry tomatoes I would have put 1 sliced in half on top of the brie before cooking.

I got the brie on a reduced price for 1.19 for 400g which I will use the lot, that makes this dish approx £3.00 for 6 portions.

this is a free meal for me, so prices are approx and what I can find online to estimate it. I smoke the salmon myself, I often substitute the salmon for trout depending on what I have at the time it is hot smoked and not cold smoked but you could change it depending on preference. This is quite a lazy dish.

Smoked salmon frittata

you will need chopping board, knife, frying pan, oven tray ( i do this one in the oven as it is large and I can be lazy sometimes) a jug, whisk

12 eggs, 4 spring onions sliced, 100g spinach, 200g salmon,1/2 courgette sliced, 1/2 dozen(ish) chives chopped, 10 fresh basil leaves a little water, a little oil,  s & p to taste.

Crack open all the eggs in a jug add a little water and whisk well add in salt pepper if you wish, In the frying pan, gently fry sping onion and courgette, once ready transfer to your oven tray. Break up your salmon and sit around the tray pour over the egg mix, now add on the spinach leaves and basil and gently push under the surface of the egg mix.

Pop in oven at 180 for 20 minutes (approx) till it is ready and there you go easy dish for lazy nights. Normally served with side salad and garlic bread

Going online for prices I was shocked as this meal would be about £7, I looked at both salmon and trout prices and both were expensive, mackerel could be used instead.

@fishingmum will you please adopt me I’m only 49?
    💜🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,756 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @debbiedo49 hahahaha @Victoriad I love the easy quick dishes myself lol I use approvedfood often to buy dried stuff when they have them in stock, they recently done 2 packs of tortillas for £1.50, sometimes it is 2 for £1.00 so when they have them on offer I normally bulk buy them, a quick dinner or lunch. I often make them using lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber thinly sliced then halved and tuna mayo or cheese and onion mayo and put it in the tortilla, makes a great lunch for the kids and works out pretty cheap as well.

I also make my own seasoning for them, and I have used it for a variety of meats to go in the tortillas. I normally make a big batch and store it in an air tight tub, so I only take out what I am needing.

fajita seasoning, 4tsp chilli powder, 4 tsp paprika, 4 tsp garlic powder, 4 tsp cumin, 2 tsp oregano, 2 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, 4tsp onion granules, 2tbsp brown sugar, mix well and store till needed.

I ahve family coming up this weekend, 3 nephews all adults with big appetites, so I am doing basically take away style meals, as we will be on the go a lot and by the time I get in at night, I want something premade and ready in minutes.

On the Friday night I am doing pizzas, on Saturday, lunch will be mixed puff pastry dishes, Saturday night will be kebabs and Sunday lunch will be a lasagne, all this I can pre do so I spend little time in the kitchen when they are here. So will get some recipes put up for that lot. hope you are all getting good weather and getting out and about :)
    @Victoriad I make my own dough, but for 10 years I made and sold pizzas and pastas, at the time I was doing it a basic 9 inch margherita was about £8 so not surprised to hear that they sell for about £20 now. for £1.18 I can make 10 doughs so I am cheaper off making it.

Tonight I was given 2 spring greens, (giant cabbage leaves) which since I had left over rice from the chilli I made I thought I would stuff them.

You will need chopping board, knife, frying pan, wide pot, oven proof dish

4 spring green leaves (depending on size cut in half), 150g rice cooked, 4 mushrooms finely chopped, 1 red onion finely chopped,1 spring onion roughly chopped, 40g pistachio nuts finely chopped, 1/2 dozen chives roughly chopped, 2 cloves of garlic minced, 1tsp chopped corriander, 1 tsp brown sugar, 1tsp mixed herb, 50ml vegetable stock, a little oil, 2 lemons sliced, olive oil

Using 4 leaves, blanch in boiling water for 2 minutes, take out put in cold water then take out and pat dry.

In the frying pan add in your oil, cook mushrooms, onion, spring onion then add in pistachios after a minute add in the rest of the ingredients including rice and stock (not the lemon) cook for further 2-3 minutes, once liquid is absorbed take off heat.
    In the oven proof dish lay down a layer of lemons and add a little olive oil over the top.
    Lay your spring greens down flat and take the mixture and stuff them rolling up and folding in the edges as you go, place in the oven proof dish on top of the lemons, continue till it is all finished and in the dish on top of the lemons, pour a little olive over the top and put in the oven for 15 minutes at 180.

Best served with a little plain yoghurt for dipping and some slices of lemon to add a little zing.

Cost for this approx £2.50 and serves 4

This can have other items added in such as strips of bacon, or spinach what ever you like add in for a tasty meal.

I’m hanging my head in shame!

Micowaved Mac cheese was my dinner!  :(

I used to cook from scratch everyday, not anymore 
    @Victoriad, hope so. Feeling a tiny bit better. Been away for the weekend to the great Loch Long, it was lovely 😊 
    Victoriad said:
    Your stuffed green leaves...sound like a deliciously cheaper alternative to dolmades?....Greek stuffed vine leaves.

your filling would work in stuffed baked peppers too.

its a cross between sarma and dolma, simple idea easy to do, so med based food. I do stuffed peppers as well, they are great for bbq days, just wrap in tin foil and put on bbq. Spring greens are easy to grow as well, but fairly cheap to buy if you did not have the space, they taste more like cabbage leaves. You can also use cous cous instead of rice. Very versatile as I add them in to soups, stews, stir fry, make the parcels from them they are great :)

Every one in my house has a different topping, my favourite is green olives, blue cheese and spinach, hubby likes his as an all seasons, 1 child likes 3 cheese, 1 likes smoked sausage and an other likes smoked mackerel and tomato. The family that are coming up, one likes ham pineapple, another wants pepperoni and onion and the other likes bbq chicken and spring onion so a bit of prep work needed lol.

@susan48 not everyone has time to prepare and cook a meal from scratch every day, when you can you go for it, so do not stress about it :)

edited June 2018
    Preparing the kebab meat in advance for this weekend, this will serve all of us for dinner and have enough left overs for another night once family has gone.

Kebab meat

You will need, mixing bowl, large loaf tin, garlic press

1.5kg minced lamb ( I use 5% fat) , 5 cloves of garlic minced, 1tsp paprika, 2 tbsp onion powder,  1tbsp cumin, 1 tbsp oregano, 1 tbsp corriander, 1tsp cayenne pepper, 1 tsp chilli flakes, 1 tsp salt and 1tsp pepper

Put all ingredients in a bowl and basically squish through with your hands till it is evenly mixed through and smooth, or put in a food processor for 2 minutes till well mixed and smooth.
    Transfer over into your loaf tin and put in oven for approx 2 hours at 180 for fan oven take out and leave to cool for about 20 minutes before slicing.

Serve with pre warmed pitta bread with thinly sliced cabbage some plain yoghurt and a good salad, you can always add extra into the pitta bread if you like more salad in it.

Cost for this is £9 for the meat, for pitta bread and salad and cabbage approx £3 This will be serving 8 people (5 large male eaters who always take extra) and will leave enough left over meat for me to do this another night for 5, or a few smaller lunches in the mini pitta bread pockets. If you are going to freeze the meat slice it before hand and put it in portions so it makes it easier in future. It works out less than £1 per person for this.
    Victoriad said:
    @fishingmum.......
    the toppings in this previous post....you were referring to pizza toppings? And not the stuffed cabbage leaves?

It might have been tortillas, had a quick look up and seen I had posted about tortilla fillings and frittatas before that so not sure which post you meant?

Hello @fishingmum Great recipes a challenge to you. I love your food and ideas but how about using minimum ingredients five is the maximum I use.

Have some cheats when the Pizza delivery guys drop there leaflets through the door.  Use of Pizza ingredients to use with Pasta.

Done Pizzaioli which is a Italian American Pasta all the ingredients on a Pizza on using Pasta.

Like Salami, Peppers, Mushrooms

Any suggestions glad to be pointed in the right direction.  Any recipes ideas five or less ingredients.

Thanks for all the information

Take care

@thespiceman
    @Victoriad I see what you mean now, you were meaning the stuffing from the cabbage leaves as a pizza topping :)

@thespiceman that was my job lmho pizzaioli, my dad and brothers were pizzaiolo. The use of pizza toppings in pasta dishes are very common, you can mix it around, depending on sauce or oil base you are using.

As for 5 ingredients, that would be difficult for a basic sauce, if you think of a basic tomato based sauce, it uses oil, onions, tomatoes, oregano, basil and a little salt so that would be 6 plus your pasta, so 7 so unless a plain dish like eggs on toast, which is only 3 ingredients eggs bread and butter, there are not many that use 5 or less for dishes that include sauces.

Tuna pasta, Pasta enough for 2, tin of tuna, olive oil, spring onion sliced, parmesan grated.
    Boil the pasta and drain, cover with olive oil as much as you like, tip in the tin of tuna mix well add in spring onions mix over the heat for a minute then add over grated parmesan mix for a further minute ready to serve.

Another easy one left over spaghetti bolognese, 2 aubergines thinly sliced, oil and parmesan grated.
    You will need an oven dish and a frying pan chopping board and knife.

gently fry your aubergine slices for a couple of minutes till slightly browned, and drain on kitchen roll, place in the ovenproof dish cover with spaghetti bolognese then cover the top with the remainder of the aubergine slices add on your parmesan and put in oven for 40 minutes at 180 just cut slices out and serve.
    Hello @fishing mum How are you? Just thought what I meant was five ingredients in making a meal have this last week or so used that to make a meal.

Tortellini with Peppers.

One jar of good quality pasta sauce Italian brands are best.
    One pack of Tortellini use veg ones with Spinach and Ricotta or Porcini buy in supermarkets various ones.
    Peppers use red ones or mix yellow and red
    That is  Option Basil Pesto to stir in.  Use Sachla best one.

Easy Microwave Tortellini in a Pyrex dish boiling water.

Jar sauce a portion just enough coat bottom of stockpot with diced peppers use food processor slicer

Add from microwave with slotted spoon Tortellini to stockpot to sauce.

Let it simmer gently on low heat warm through serve. Option use a teaspoon Basil Pesto.

You want pasta to coat sauce not drown. Easy and simple.

Often buy jar sauces I know it is a cheat but add pesto, red roasted peppers or sundried tomatoes to blender blitz up.

Buy both Basil variety and Red chilli one for a little kick in my meals

@thespiceman

@Victoriad, I speak very little mostly food based lol, but they were from the south west and moved over in the 40's so basically all English speakers now.

@thespiceman ok since I make everything then for me that is technically not 5 ingredients, even if it is a cheat, as each part of a dish that you make has several ingredients, for example a jar of pesto has 13 ingredients and that is not including the perservatives, homemade has 7 with no perservatives, the spinach and ricotta tortelloni has 15 where as my home made one has 8. So technically I use less ingredients than you do as you buy premade, I do understand your difficulty so you have to for ease, however I will stick with making it in full and put the recipe up, as from it you can see if you can buy a jar of something similar :)
    @Victoriad not just making do, its a way of life as well, less waste more creativity, or, fare fare e creare :)
    of course, if not things would be stagnant, My hubby works with Italians and I am brushing up on oral language skills, which has been great recently, my son however does spanish as his gf is from there, so funny how some of the things written can look alike but the pronounciation is miles apart, yet French and Italian are extremely close. Languages are great :)

@debbiedo49 not as easy as thespicemans, this does take a little bit of time and measuring out.
    Chicken Korma

You will need a stock pot, a dish for marinading chicken, chopping board, knife, grater, crusher (back of knife handle would suffice) bowl for putting measured out spices in

Chicken marinade, 1.2 kg chicken diced into pieces, 80ml plain yoghurt, 1 tbsp garam masala, 1 tbsp mild curry powder a little salt and pepper.
    Mix yoghurt with spices coat chicken and place in dish, cover and put in fridge for a couple of hours.

Sauce: 2 large onions finely chopped, 4 cloves of garlic crushed, 1 tbsp mild curry powder, 1 tbsp tumeric, 1 tbsp garam masala, 1 tsp, ground coriander, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1 tbsp brown sugar, 4 cardamon pods crushed, 2 drops almond essence,1 inch piece of fresh ginger grated, 1 tin coconut milk, 80 ml plain yoghurt, 100ml chicken stock a little oil.

Once chicken is made up in the fridge, measure out your spices and sit in a bowl, in the stock pot add a little oil to cook your onion and garlic for 3 minutesadd in your grated ginger for 1 minute, add in almond essence coconut milk and yoghurt and stock, mix through and add all spices and sugar bring to boil then simmer till reduced for approx 15 minutes, add in your chicken pieces and keep on simmer stirring as you go for approx 15- 20 minutes, make sure the chicken is cooked through before serving. Serve with basmati or pilau rice, naan bread to mop up any  sauce left over.
  • NigelrlNigelrl Posts: 31Member Courageous
    New here and will add a recepie or two. Suggestion tho loads of excellent recipies but having to scroll through them all is too much. Is there a way to put them into classes. 
    Hope I haven't offended anyone but my condition and meds don't allow too much concentration in one go.

Will go and sit in the naughty corner now 
Sign in or join us to comment.